Adoption presents certain risks to adopting parents and birth parents alike.
Risks facing adopting parents include:
Risks facing birth mothers include:
- How do we know a birth mother really wants to place her baby?
- How do we know she's really pregnant?
- How do we know she's healthy and likely to give birth to a normal baby?
- How do we know she's not on drugs and/or alcohol?
- How do we know she is who she says she is?
- How do we know the background information she gives us is reliable?
- How do we know the birth father will not interfere?
- How do I know the couple I like are really good people?
- How do I know what I've been told about them is true?
- How do I know they'll keep their promises to me?
- How do I know my lawyer is looking out for my interests?
- How do I know I'll be getting first class medical care?
- How do I know the birth father won't be a problem for me?
When we confer, we will explore the risks and discuss how to minimize them.